Monday, October 13, 2008

Journal

10/22
Yesterday I met our new Landlord Lucio D'isanti and his brother Genny. We met at the housing office at the Support Site to sign a precontract, but there was a problem with the paperwork for the apartment. The precontract meeting has been rescheduled for Friday.

On the positive side, I was able to get all of the steps done to complete the sale of the Volvo. To celebrate, Rachel and I drove to Pozzuili to take pictures to send to the madre of the house. While there we ran into Lucio and Genny, who let us in to take some pictures. (The last time I tried to insert the pictures I lost everything I had written, so if you are reading this and don't see anything, it is because I gave up.)

The first is a view from the balcony looking at Pozzuoli bay.








Afterwards we drove in to the historic part of Naples to walk around and find a place to eat. The only thing more challenging than getting around by car is finding a place to park. Especially to park something the size of the Volvo, which around here feels like driving the motorhome. We eventually parked illegally (when in Naples...) and walked around a bit.

Even though I am usually trying to talk, the Italians keep trying to get Rachel to interpret for me. She apparently looks Italian, so she better pick up the language pretty quick.

10/20
I had heard that it takes a long time to get into a house, so I picked one quickly to start the process. It is in Pozzuoli, and turns out to be the same one that my friend Kevin K. stayed in when he was here a year ago. A few days ago I learned that the ancient name for Pozzuoli is Puteoli. According to Acts 28:13, Paul found some believers there, and it was his last stop before arriving at Rome.
On Saturday, Rachel and I drove to Pozzuoli. She has posted pictures of that outing on her facebook. I will put them on the blog here as well when I have an opportunity.
On Sunday we got up early to take the train to Rome. However, Rachel's knee was bothering her, so we pushed the trip to Roma off to another day.
Speaking of which, have you ever wondered why cities in foreign countries have English names? We call Napoli "Naples", Roma "Rome", and so on. Shouldn't there be a rule against that sort of thing? It would certainly reduce confusion for tourists.

10/15
Yesterday I ran into a friend from the Navigators at the Naval Academy. I had not seen him in 25 years, since when he graduated in '83, a year ahead of me. We only talked a little, but had lots of fun getting caught up on each other's life. Hank B married Lorraine, they have 8 children, and have been here about a year. He is an O-6 now (Navy Captain). I look forward to getting our families together.

Today Rachel and I worked out together at the gym. She took me through some of her yoga routine. If I can keep up with it I'll be in good shape by the time she leaves in January.

Tomorrow morning Rachel is going to ride the bus with me to the base at Capodichino. Our mission is to get her a military dependent's id card so she can get on the base without me.

10/14
Rachel is here now!! It's great having some company. She was already asleep when I got in last night at 9:30 p.m., so I of course woke her up and we talked until after midnight.

As Rachel brought a laptop, I expect internet access is going to be easier for me.

10/13
It is hard to believe I have only been here just over a week. Most of my energy has gone into preparing for my family. I don’t expect to be a tour guide, but feel like the more Italian and the more connections I can learn, the better. I’m now comfortable with the basics of getting around. Rachel gets in tonight, and just in time. I’m starting to get lonely.

The one outing I expected to do by myself was an extended run, starting at Sorrento and heading out towards the island of Capri. Yesterday I left early and this time took some pictures.

10/11
Yesterday I bought a car, and today was spent cleaning it up: http://crabtreesineurope.blogspot.com/2008/10/our-car.html

10/5
Today I had my first adventure off of the base. After chapel I withdrew €70 (approx $100) and went to catch a train for downtown Naples. I was told that there is only one bus at the bus stop outside the gate at Naval Support Site, and it goes to the train station at Avenza. Well, according to the schedule, the bus runs hourly at 15 minutes to the hour. After waiting 25 minutes I decided to walk. This I would not have attempted, except that the new GPS told me exactly where the station was, how to get there, and how far away (2 miles).
After walking for 5 minutes, I saw the bus go by. That's how I remember Italy. The bus was either 1/2 hour late or 1/2 hour early.
On the walk over, I had a few surprises. First, there was a lot of garbage on the street. Much of it was partially bagged and rotting, like it had been set out but then never got picked up. I believe someone told us there had been a garbage collection strike. Another surprise was I was expecting to feel unsafe. I had even emptied my wallet of credit cards and extra cash, and left the video camera behind. On the walk I engaged a couple of young girls in conversation that were probably about 10 years old. Their parents evidently felt it was safe enough to let them walk downtown by themselves. I'm guessing that the most menacing looking thing on the streets today was a tall, middle-aged Americano who didn't have the sense to wear long pants or a long sleeved shirt.
There is evidence that robberies do happen. Most of the apartments near Aversa are built up around a little gated courtyard that opens to the street. Each courtyard stands like a miniature walled fort. At night, I imagine the gates are closed, so the only way into the apartment complex would be to scale the walls of the buildings.
Without too much difficutly I was able to purchase a round trip ticket for €2.90. The train ride was about 20 minutes. It ends at Napoli Centrali (equivalent of a Grand Central station) which incidentaly, has a MacDonalds. Although it was not in my plans to eat there, I felt it my duty to report how MacDonalds pizza tastes (it is Excellento).
Naples is different than I remembered it. For instance, the cars obeyed traffic lights. Maybe it is because today was Sunday and not that congested, or maybe the area has changed, but drivers were definitely more polite than I remember 15 years ago. I did not see any homeless or panhandlers. Also, there are lots of castles and historic buildings right down at the waterfront. The city is picturesque, with hills rising up dramatically from the water and buildings apparently carved out of the hills.
Lessons learned:
1) do not wear shorts unless going running or to the beach
2) GPS takes away all (or most of) the stress
3) dove la banjo (where is the bathroom) is a big deal. And when I did find it, there is someone waiting out front to take your money. I suppose their fig leaf of an excuse to take money is they keep the restrooms clean.
4) always bring the camera.

Today was a lot of fun.

No comments: